Pages

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Where the Buffalo roam.....

So, second graders need to learn all about Native American Indians. That is what I have been told. By my second grader. For weeks we heard lots about corn and berries and deer skins and jerky. They made vests and decorated them with symbols that told a story. They got very excited about wigwams and longhouses and totempoles.
I even helped build a teepee for the bulletin board and made my own version of a northwestern totem pole.
Soon the exciting day was upon us. My little blonde "native american" was pumped. It was fun to go and be there with her and her class for the "POW-WOW".
They had a Wigwam set up outside and the kids were able to sit inside and hear about the ways of the tribe.
I was impressed with the authentic dance that the chief guy did and decided that I could work off some major calories if I learned those steps. (Hey and I liked the bells too.)

But the song and dance Emma and her classmates did was my favorite. Hi-ya-na, hi-ya-na, oh, hiyalai-na. I can hear it now(.....someone is singing it in my ear.)


It was a great day and I am looking forward to Pilgrim day next year!


No comments: