Pages

Friday, June 25, 2010

Ruffle, ruffle

Okay, so what happens when hubby is out of town on a Friday night? Oh, fiddling around in my studio...not in the mood to clean up any other project and then remembering an idea to add to my oh-so-black and boring summer sandals.


I had seen some cute ones with ruffles but of course, they were out in MY SIZE....


so I came upon this plan.

MAKE MY OWN....and standing in the big W the other day on a completely different project saw the vinyl tablecloth on the roll that is REALLY CHEAP.
Bought a bit of black and yellow. Started cutting it up and sewing it back together.


Here is the right one all finished.and the boring left one "before".




I cut a double length of the black fv( faux vinyl) and double the width I wanted.

I then sewed a seam down the side 1/4" from edge. Repeat on other side and across both ends. Be sure and leave the middle free so you can hand sew a running stitch to gather. (see red marks).

Trim excess of the end as close to the stitching as possible.....Apply a bit of tacky glue along edge next to red dashed lines...this is so the edges will stay down when you gather.Using button hole thread and a large eye needle, sew a gathering stitch down the center through only thickness (see red dashes above).




Using heavy duty hook and loop tape apply to ruffle and matching on the shoe. (my shoes are leather and it stays put but can still be pulled off...)

Now apply to both shoes and voile'...ruffled sandals....so much MORE FUN...

2 comments:

Alicia said...

Mom, those are ADORABLE! One of my favorite projects on here so far... So so soooo cute.

Fujitales said...

Alicia is right, they are adorable. I'm off to find some cheap vinyl myself!

By the way, congratulations grandma! I'm so happy for Alicia, I can hardly talk about it without getting a lump in my throat.