Pages

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Getting through the gloomies.

Let us just say that January is NOT one of my favorites.  Growing up in Idaho, it was snowy and really cold and wickedly winter. When we lived in Florida, there was just no such thing.  When Christmas was over, we packed up our light sweaters and then played outside.
We went to the Beach.  We went to the park.  We went to the BIG parks when Family came.  We had lots of family come too....winter in Florida was pretty enticing.  We took all to the orange groves to pick the orange sweetness right off the tree. And then there was the Strawberry festival.  Strawberry fields everywhere and a fair full of street vendors selling shortcakes slathered with authentic shortbread, mashed strawberries, and real whipped cream.  It was heaven in a styrofoam dish.
We biked all over the small bay town, weaving in and around lush fields of tomatoes and citrus.  It was no secret why Florida was such a "snow bird" place.   We learned to tolerate them...those "snow birds".  We just figured out how to live around them.  Our little town increased in numbers of nearly 10,000 when they showed up in late November.  I learned to never grocery shop on Monday morning because of the white haired traffic, and always wait until nearly 7 to dine out to avoid the "early bird" special gang.  And I learned to bite my tongue with so many grandmas around to "help" me raise my children.  There was no limit to the advice I got.
We loved our life there.  I loved the January sunshine so sparkly and peaceful.  I could sit out on the deck and watch the kids swing and just soak up the bug free, low humidity wonderfulness.  But in the back of my mind, I would wonder if we would ever move west.  I saw myself sitting by the fire with a great book, watching the snow coming down.  I didn't see myself, hating the gray days and wishing for a little sunshine.   So, this is a post of reality.  There is no perfect life.  There is no perfect place.  Better just learn to love where you are.
And oh, yes, go and make a cup of hot chocolate.  The weather man says snow.

3 comments:

mommaj said...

I am sooo glad you are closer, but now I think I want to move to Florida--in November!

FRUIT OF THE BOUGH said...

Hang in there girlfriend - I SO feel your pain :-) Love, Jan

FRUIT OF THE BOUGH said...

Hang in there girlfriend - I SO feel your pain :-) Love, Jan