Pages

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Call me "Crazy Quilt"

Okay, I know it's true. I am a little crazy. That is not new. But I don't think I realized how far gone I was until I signed up my "not anywhere near done" quilt for the quilt show. I always think of it as good incentive. RIGHT.
This was no small undertaking. I saw a picture of "The Orion Nebula, as seen from Hubble spacecraft" and I knew I wanted to make a quilt. I began collecting fabric. I love that part!!


I began by snipping little pieces of fabric and pasting them on with basting glue. Lots of little pieces. The more I snipped, the bigger it got.

I also didn't have room left on the table for the fabric....so I just threw it over my shoulder onto the floor. (My mom would NOT approve....) Everything was going smoothly until I left myself just enough time to machine quilt it together.
I sewed about 10 hours on Thursday. I decided to quit when my machine said "OVERLOAD"....
Little did I know that meant...MACHINE DOWN....DEAD....DEAD, DEAD.

I took it into the repair guy and got the "when was the last time you had a check-up?" routine. Ah, just fix it ok? He called me later to tell me it was chock full of lint and needed to soak over the weekend...

WHAT???? How was I going to get this quilt done.??? I sat in the parking lot and boo-hooed a little. Then I was over it. Silly me thinking that Don would let me quit. He is my main cheer-leader. So off to Sears we went and looked for another machine. Don found this review a lady wrote on this machine...

"I bought a machine in 1987 that was an electronic Kenmore almost like this one. Carrying it to a different room, I tripped and droppped the machine on the floor. It was 18 years old. I carried it to the bedroom and laid it on the bed like a dead child. I cried. I never had any trouble with the machine in my 18 years of sewing. I sewed drapes for 4 houses, clothes for my children and more quilts than I care to think about. I just couldn't believe I killed my best friend. That same day I went to Sears and looked for another machine and was shocked when I saw the same machine with a few added features for the same price as I paid for the one in 1987. I purchased the machine. I love it as much as I did the first one. I have convinced 2 relatives and 3 friends to buy the same machine. They love it as much as I do. The features I love the most is that it makes the most beautiful button holes. You won't be sorry if you buy this machine!! I guarantee it."
I had a good laugh with him and then we picked one out. They had one on display but not in stock the Tri-cities...yikes. Off to Walla-Walla we went.

So the next morning I was back at the shop to retrieve my "free-motion foot" from my soaking machine so I could get back at it. It didn't fit. Back to the shop to see how to adjust it to fit. Back home again and I sewed an hour or so. Then the foot broke (from me adjusting it previously...) so back to the shop for another foot. Then I spend the rest of the day sewing along....

Sunday I took a break and fed the missionaries and made Easter happen. Back up on Monday morning and worked all day until finish at about 8:30 pm.

But we got it entered. And it looked pretty darn good hung up with the others. And I won a blue ribbon on it..."First Place Wall Hanging". Felt kinda nice.

Except when I went to pick up my FIXED machine....cost me $88.16 for the repairs and he made it good as new. "Cheaper than buying a new one" he says. I smile and say..."right."






4 comments:

Alicia said...

I love the end..."cheaper than buying a new one". Shoulda whacked him over the head with the fixed machine!

I love love love this quilt. I might even write my name on the back of it when I get to meet it in real life!

Love you and your passion for these kinds of things.

Steve said...

Wow...the quilt looks amazing. Oh, and as far as Alicia writing her name on this one, good luck. I think the guy who works on space stuff gets this one, and the one Mom makes of a Cricut machine goes to you. :)

Unknown said...

Yay, a blue ribbon, I think you ought to frame it! Your kids are cute to fight over the quilt - although I have to go with Steven on this, I think it should go to NASA when you die!
You do amazing work...

Breya and Debra

Brittnie said...

That is an AMAZING quilt! My mom and I are wondering why none of the creative, crafty genes were passed on to us!